Being Asian American

 


Last week there was an awful shooting in Atlanta where another unstable young white man killed 8 people including 6 Asian women. 4 of them were Korean, and some of them were similar in age to my mom.  My mom is 76 and more than ever, I am worried for her and my dad‘s safety.

I was on a Zoom call with some Asian American community members and activists in Milwaukee a few days before this attack happened. We were discussing the intersection of Black Lives Matter and Asian Lives Matter.  And one the day after the tragic event, I attended a meeting for the Democrats Abroad AAPI Asian American Pacific Islander Caucus celebration and opening meeting for our Germany chapter.  We finally created our own caucus in Germany! Well, it was definitely not a celebratory atmosphere but we all felt relieved and supported surrounded by other Asian Americans and allies. It was comforting for me and not feeling isolated far away from the US. I felt like there were some folks who understood me and knew exactly what I needed during this difficult time.  The German news did not focus much on the attacks and hardly any of my German family or friends talked about this or even asked me about how I was doing, or feeling about the situation.  It was the much needed gathering at the right time! 

After these meetings, I realized that I have to become more engaged and more vocal about Asian American issues, experiences, and perspectives.  Even if I am far away from the US. And even in Europe.  Because racism and hate is everywhere, globally unfortunately.  I have to also do this for my children who are half Korean American, and for my dear loving parents who immigrated from Seoul to the US and became US citizens in the past few years. My parents lived in the US in the 80s when my father‘s job brought us to Miami, Florida and then later, Chicago.  Then they moved back while my brother and I stayed to finish high school and university in the States. Then we just stayed on to work and became permanent residents, and then eventually Americans.  



I also want my German/British husband and his family and relatives, and my white friends to understand my perspective and feelings on racism against the Asian community, and understanding that I will always have a  strong need to talk to and share with  non Asian communities about who I really am, where I lived and live,, which languages I speak, what political perspectives I have, and what the unique experiences are that Korean Americans and Asian Americans face every day. We still have so much to just learn from each other....it is an on going educational effort on all of us. And I want my kids to not have difficulty as they navigate their Asian and European cultures and heritage, and be confident of who they are and will be as they experience their life with others in this messy world.

Also, I have an important message, loud and clear! I want our community to feel included, accepted, welcomed and respected. We are not your perpetual foreigner, and we are definitely not all Chinese....stop calling us gook, chinks, China virus, foreigner,  Ching Chong Chinaman, Oriental, China Doll, Jap, etc, .....and stop asking us where we come from! Do your homework and find out and educate yourselves! Stop pitting us against other minority groups or vulnerable communities. We are diverse, unique, multilingual, and multiethnic Americans. Just treat us and see us as who we are and as your fellow Americans....

I read so many articles, news and social media information related to the Atlanta tragedy the past few days. It is overwhelming and frustrating and exhausting. And I kept reading the victims‘ names and their stories....

 But I can’t stop now...and I want to make sure the victims were not killed in vain.  I will keep working hard on racial justice, anti racism actions, political advocacy, and educational efforts on behalf of our community.....it is the least I can do, for now, and for the future! It has been an emotional, upsetting and challenging week in Asian America. I know that there are so many compassionate people out there and we can all come together to do the right thing! 

Rest In Peace.....


Here are some other perspectives by other Asian community members who share their personal stories.  

https://honghanhdinh.wordpress.com/2021/03/21/on-the-atlanta-spa-shootings-it-could-have-been-my-mother/?fbclid=IwAR0CrAGVPeDa5C75Rs-EUIJJp9l8SBUBBSttCZk9_WayK8Lhib9HsGt4eSY


https://time.com/5948226/eric-nam-anti-asian-racism-atlanta/?fbclid=IwAR3nDVBrS7RuslFLt-nS0OnT8CgCwZM4tjqOW_tj_Gh9z_z2TD-leMQ67Vo


https://milwaukeenns.org/2021/03/19/opinion-im-done-keeping-my-head-down-why-we-must-stop-the-hate-against-asian-americans-and-everyone-else/


The illustrations below are from a Korean adoptee artist who is from Sweden. Check out her beautiful work.... Lisa Wool-Rim Sjöblom, or Chung Wool-Rim, Korean name. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moving After so many years....

Reinventing my professional life and identity: Lessons Learned

Self Care and Support for a Better Attitude and Easier Adjustment